My prompt for you today is to answer a simple question...
Why do you write?
I sat down, this afternoon, and thought about how to answer and decided to begin by sharing the link to a blog post I wrote in 2012.
It was a post about the "process" of writing and linked to a challenge to write on the subject offered up by a poetic writing friend of mine.
My answer to her challenge was to share links to 10 blog posts related to "process" I had written between 2007 and 2011.
As for "Why I Write?"... I came up with 51 reasons! :-D
2. I write to be remembered; to leave something of myself behind….since it appears love, marriage and offspring may not be in my future, my creativity will have to “represent” my blood line once I am gone.
3. I write to reveal my inner most thoughts and feelings.
4. I write to feel love.
5. I write to share love.
6. I write to release anger.
7. I write to be me.
8. I write to “be” my cats.
10. I write because I have poetry in my soul.
11. I write to change lives.
12. I write to find my way.
13. I write to connect; with myself, my cats and others.
14. I write to live a purposeful life beyond the daily grind of 3pm to Midnight.
15. I write so that when someone asks me what I do, I can say I’m a writer; I can say my day job is a cashier, but I am also a writer and have hopes to earn an income doing that as well.
16. I write to inspire myself.
17. I write to inspire others.
18. I write because I’m inspired by others.
19. I write to clear my mind.
20. I write because it’s liberating.
21. I write to bring myself to tears that might not otherwise be shed.
22. I write to bring others to tears.
23. I write because I crack myself up and I want to make others laugh, too.
24. I write because I’m fortunate enough that I live in a country where I can freely do so and I want to respect God for giving me this gift.
25. I write to express my uniqueness.
26. I write to feel awesome. My creativity makes me feel like a badass.
27. I write because those I disagree with often give me reason to do so and I love pissing off those who disagree with, maybe even hate, me.
28. I write because doing so helps with my ability to think.
29. I write to make other people think.
30. I write because it’s the audacious thing to do.
31. I write because my words deserve to be written.
32. I write because my words are worth being read.
33. I write because writing makes me happy.
34. I write to make other people happy.
35. I write because writing makes me better.
36. I write to help other people be better.
37. I write because I discovered Star Trek as a middle schooler and realized that creative writing and storytelling were the logical things for me to do; true story.
38. I write because writing is my creative outlet.
39. I write because writing is my thoughts outlet.
40. I write because doing so is a way to share my opinions with the world.
41. I write because it is cathartic and empowering.
42. I write because I’m always fascinated and writing allows me to explore what fascinates me.
43. I write because writing is my chi; it makes me feel alive, providing energy that unites my body, mind and spirit.
44. I write to shed my doubts, of which there are plenty.
45. I write to stop and smell my natural surroundings.
46. I write to discover the positives in my life and the world around me.
47. I write to share what I see and discover in the physical, scenic, urban, suburban and even natural world out there that I walk or bike, past every day.
48. I write because it gives me a way to describe what I see through the lens of my camera.
49. I write because I heard some ladies think writers are hot. At MY age…if that is a small part of what it takes to meet the woman of my dreams….who am I to take exception? God works in mysterious ways, His wonders to behold!
50. I write because it helps me not feel alone.
51. I write because I love to write, always have. Always will.