(Series begins here = Daily Gratitude Writing Challenge Summer 2013 Preview)
Health-wise I have gone through a lot in my life:
1. I survived a fall off my bike, suffered at the hands of a bully in 4th grade.
2. As a child, around the same age, I once stepped on a nail while playing on a swing set.
3. Around middle school age, while visiting an Uncle in Colorado, I left a piece of my big toe in the Colorado River. If anyone sees Big Foot wandering around it's probably a descendant of mine.
4. A Doberman got away from his owner long enough to rip up my right leg as I walked to high school and I hope he got indigestion!
5. I also survived pneumonia in high school.
6. A broken ankle sustained in 2011, while checking on a black cat in a drainage ditch.
7 and 8. A stress related seizure in 2010, and a smaller one in 2012.
9 and 10. A surgery on my left eye, to fix a broken blood vessel at the end of 2012, and cancer in the right one, that required 2 recent surgeries in April..
I am grateful to have survived all of these, and I am grateful for my life-long love of walking and bike riding as these activities have played a part in keeping me healthy, not to mention giving me, like my health issues, plenty of things to write about on my blogs over the past 11 years.
As someone who enjoys history, and grew up with a taste in music different from many of his peers, I learned to love classical music, big band, instrumental Jazz, Country and more, running the gamut from the 19th century to the 1980's.
When it comes to patriotic, America loving music, I have my favorites and wish to share a few.
I am grateful for these songs and spoken-word performances, by some of the most famous men and women in the world of entertainment:
Star Spangled Banner - 1898 recording
An ex-marine sings the rarely heard 3rd & 4th verses
You're a Grand Old Rag by Billy Murray (1906)
Cohan changed rag to flag by 1918
God Bless America by Kate Smith (1938)
Song of Freedom by Bing Crosby (1942)
This Land is Your Land by Woody Guthrie
Battle Hymn of the Republic - Mormon Tabernacle Choir
The Pledge of Allegiance by Red Skelton
America the Beautiful - Elvis sings in People's Republic of China
America Why I love Her by John Wayne