I am grateful, this Thanksgiving, for the books of Inspiration that I have read over the past year and a half, and for the set of new ones I've begun reading since coming to Texas.
Gardner's presentation, a year ago, lead me to take plenty of notes.
I find myself thinking about them again here in Texas:
If you can't get out of it, GET INTO IT.
Be curious about life, learning, and growing.
Ask yourself what do you feel called to do? What are your strengths & talents, and how can you utilize them the rest of your life?
G x P x V = C (Gifts x Passions x Values = Calling) means finding ways to use your gifts on something you are passionate about, and reach out to others with your gifts, & talents.
Purpose is a Verb. Where your talents, & the needs of the world cross, there is your purpose in life. Figure out how you fit in the world, and use your gifts by following your passions.
1. Pay Attention to your passions.
2. Do an Inventory of yourself.
3. Don't just find a job, create an opportunity.
4. Decide what you want your life to be about, and go from there.
5. You want something? Go get it!
6. You can't change something until you own it.
7. How did you get where you currently are?
8. Find the one thing you would do for free, would love to get up in the morning, and do.
9. Don't let others tell you something can't be done.
10. Got a dream? Go Get it!
11. Maybe it's not a time to find a job, but find what you WANT to do.
Find your Button. When you find your Button, PUSH IT!
12. If you are not going to push your Button now when ARE you going to push it?
Don't be afraid to push your Button!
13. Stop saying IF, and say WHEN!
14. When it comes to choosing between doing your Passion, & what's Practical, can you do BOTH?
15. Don't lose faith. Find what you love, do what you believe is great work. Don't settle.
16. Take the 1st Step: Baby Steps count as long as you are going forward.
17. When it comes to retooling your skills, what talents, skills, & expertese, you already have are transferable.
18. Find balance in your life more powerful than your checkbook.
19. Have confidence that your gifts can create your better life.
Empower yourself...Be true to yourself...Be a Creator.
20. Stop looking for a "job", and look for opportunities to use your skills, talents, and expertese.
21. Have a plan, & be clear, concise, compelling, consistent, and committed.
22. Find, and connect with, people who have, or are doing, what you want to do..
23. We are all going to fall at some point. A Life Reimagined is when you get up, & move forward.
A lot to take in, and the book he wrote was even more intense an experience.
I read various books by Julia Cameron: The Artist's Way set, and several books of inspirational meditations.
I also read 2 books by Norman Vincent Peale, and shared my thoughts:
These various books played a role in changing my attitudes, getting me to think about moving forward personally and creatively, and picking up and moving to Texas.
Last month my friend Amanda Socci encouraged me to read Rev. Joel Osteen's latest book, I Declare.
I did so in 1 day, and am grateful for the suggestion, the book was that powerful.
I decided to check out Lakewood Church, and take in a Sunday Service.
After a second visit, and some thought, I decided to invest in his 4 other books (Your Best Life Now, Become a Better You, It's Your Time, and Every Day a Friday).
Food for thought, inspiration for moving forward, all of these books, written by men whose lives, and ideas inspire, and inspire heated discussion, and debate.
I am grateful for whatever it was that caused me to invest in the time needed to read these books, and gain something from doing so.