Robert Lee Brewer, author, writer, editor at Writer's Digest, Poet Laureate of the Blogosphere, and blogger extraordinaire, has set forth a challenge for budding, and experienced, writers alike, this month:
One of the most important tools for a writer trying to find success in today's media environment is a strong platform.
I'm more interested in creating a supportive framework that helps writers challenge themselves than sticking to any hard and fast rules. If there's one thing I hope this challenge accomplishes, it's that I hope writers come out of it with a stronger online platform and a better idea of how to continue growing that platform beyond April.
You can read the guidelines here.
Day 1 is about defining yourself: Don't worry about where you'd like to be or anything in the future. Instead, take a look at who you are, what you've done, what you're currently doing, etc...
So here goes...
Names (as used in bylines): Kiril Kundurazieff, Miss Elvira - Sassy Lady Cat (AKA Elvira Mistress of Felinity), and Nikita
Position(s): 1984-2010 -- Book Store Manager, College Bookstore Clerk, Cashier, Directory Assistance Operator.
2002-Present: Blogger, Event Speaker.
Also Family Genealogist, and Published Writer.
Skill(s): Creative writing (Writing in the persona of 1 male and 1 female Cat, Poetry, Songs, Short Story Fiction, Humor, Parody), Amateur Journalism & Blogging, public speaking, Humorist, spelling, various computer related activities, photography and Adobe Photoshop Elements, can ride a bike 20-66 miles and live to tell about it, decent cook ing skills, able to navigate a half dozen SoCal Mass Transit Systems in a single day, problem solving, idea generation, willingness to try new things, retail management, customer service and call center experience, leadership, self-motivation.
Official Research Assistant, Photographer, Liaison, Provider, Playmate, Belly Rubber, & Litter Box Cleaner, for my 2 Blogging Cats.
What new skills would you most like to acquire? More computer, and networking, skills to help me be a better writer/blogger, and reach a wider audience, and networking skills to get a new job.
Self-Publishing Skills, for books, and newsletters, and promotional fliers.
Podcasting skills, and better video making skills.
Social Media Platforms: Facebook, LinkedIn, Google+, Typepad, YouTube, Yelp, Blog Paws Community.
URLs: http://www.opinionatedpussycat.com; http://www.madmacedonian.com; http://www.cyclingdude.com/; http://www.linkedin.com/in/kirilkundurazieff; http://www.youtube.com/user/TheMadMacedonian/videos; http://madmacedonian.yelp.com/
What Makes You Feel Alive? A good long bike ride, or urban adventure on foot.
What are You Called to Do? Be a Creative Writer, and Journalist. Especially find ways to share my interest in Cats through my writing. Share my other interests, such as cycling, walking, and genealogy, through my writing.
1. Published ( unpaid ) Star Trek Author, in 1990, with an essay in the book Best of Trek #15 - Confessions of a Trekaholic.
2. THE AMERICAN SPECTATOR VOL. 23, NO. 11 / NOVEMBER 1990 - P. J. O'Rourke: SHOOT THE WOUNDED -- I was priviledged to be named a memebr of Tailgunner Joe's Honor Guard. :-D
3. In 2004 I had the honor of having genealogy themed letter to the editor published in the OC Weekly...under the title (Given by their editor) of "He's Screwed!"
4. Interviewed by Daily Pilot Weekly Newspaper in 2005.
5. Quoted in the book How to Live Well Without Owning a Car by Chris Balish, in 2006 (Also gave research advice to, & critiqued cycling portion of book before publication).
6. Invited to give presentation on Bike Commuting at REI in Huntington Beach, in 2008.
7. Invited to give presentation on Bike Commuting at monthly meeting of Riverside Bicycling Club, in 2009.
8. Wrote extensive reviews, on Musings of a Mad Macedonian, of concerts of the Orange County Pacific Symphony, in 2008 & 2009, as part of volunteer Blogger "Press Corp" effort started by their Publicity Dept.
9. Invited to attend, and wrote review of on The Cycling Dude, special screening of the award winning documentary Klunkerz, in 2009.
10. Meowsings of an Opinionated Pussycat named a "Blog We Dig" by Pet Tales @ Orange County Register Newspaper, 2010.
11. Sponsored to attend, and wrote review of on Meowsings of an Opinionated Pussycat, Cats 4 Cats Red Carpet Charity Event & stage performance, in 2011.
12. Read my Poetry at Open Mics.
Interests: Creative Writing, Journalism, Blogging, Activism for causes I believe in, Recreational Cycling, Cats, Genealogy, Photography, Urban Hiking/Walking, Reading and Book Collecting, Film and TV Buff, Politics and News, History, Faith, Cooking, Poetry, Talk Radio, Travel, Music (Classical, Big Band, Instrumental Jazz), Public Speaking, watching sports on TV or at the stadium.
In one sentence, who am I?
Kiril Kundurazieff is a single white male Moderate Conservative, Creative Writer, Amateur Online Journalist, Cyclist, Walker, and Cat Lover, with a peculiar sense of humor to match.
Continue to: "Building a Platform" Challenge - Day 2