Two months ago I bought the 3 Julia Cameron books in her Artist's Way Trilogy, the Morning Pages Journal, and the Artist's Way Workbook, and am beginning week 5 of the initial Artist's Way Program.
Artist's way is described as a Spiritual Path to higher creativity, a personal journey of discovery of a better, more creative, you, not just career-wise, but personally, as well.
Like other books I've read this year it has given me food for thought, especially by requiring me to think about a lot of things, and put my thoughts down on paper.
Cameron's writing gave me a collection of new "Thoughts to Start the Day" to add to a list I began after reading Norman Vincent Peale:
1. Creativity is the natural order of life. Life is energy: Pure creative energy!
2. There is an underlying, in-dwelling, Creative force infusing all of life - including myself.
3. When I open myself to my Creativity, I open myself to the Creator's Creativity within me and my life.
4. I am, myself, a Creation. And I, in turn, am meant to continue Creativity by being creative myself.
5. Creativity is God's Gift to me! Using my Creativity is my gift back to God!
6. The refusal to be Creative is self-will and is counter to our true nature.
7. When I open myself to exploring my Creativity, I open myself to God: Good Orderly Direction.
8. As I open my Creative Channel to the Creator, many gentle but powerful changes are to be expected.
9. It is safe to open myself up to greator and greator Creativity.
10. My Creative dreams and yearnings come from a Divine source. As I move toward my dreams, I move toward my Divinity.
It doesn't matter what I did in the past, it only matters what I do in the future...
I do not know what the future may hold, but I am doing my best to develope the faith, and skills, and ideas, that will guide me in the direction my life is meant to go next.
A year ago who would have thought that my ongoing efforts at learning new computer skills, and self-examination, and new creative stirrings, of the past year, not to mention breaking an ankle, and trying to recover from it as best I can, would lead me to write a prayer? :-D
Over the last few days I first went and spent a morning walking around a Swap Meet, in Santa Fe Springs, then spent yesterday in Laguna Beach, visiting an art gallery, and a popular independent bookstore, Laguna Beach Books, ending the day, sitting on the steps above a famous stretch of beach, at the end of nearby Brooks St.
It was while there, looking out at the ocean (Thank You to several folks, who also stopped to take in the view, for taking photos for me!), and reading the Artist's Way, & AW Workbook, as well as Julia's "Artist's Prayer", that I began formulating the rough draft of the piece below (An Artist's Way Task for Week 4), finished at my desk this morning.
A Creative Writer's Prayer by Kiril "The Mad Macedonian" Kundurazieff (Copyright 2011)
(With input, & approval, from my Cats, & fellow Bloggers/Creative Writers, Nikita Cat, & Elvira Mistress of Felinity)
Oh Lord in heaven
I come to You, as a humble creator of words,
Before the Creator of all living things, & the planet we live on,
Asking that I may be of service to You, and others, in how I live, & write.
I offer myself to You as a vessel, & tool, for good.
I offer myself to Your Creativity in my life.
I humbly surrender to You my old ideas, concerns, and fears.
I welcome Your new, and more expansive, ideas into my life.
I trust that You will lead me down the right path.
I trust that it is safe to follow You down that road to a better life, and future, personally, and creatively.
I know that I am Your creation, and that creativity is Your nature, and my own.
I ask You to unfold my life according to Your plan, not my low self-worth.
Please help me to believe that it is not too late, and that I'm not too small,
or too flawed, to be healed by You, and made whole.
Help me to help others discover, and share, their own creativity, as You helped me discover, and share mine.
Help me to know that I am not alone, that I am loved, and lovable.
Help me to create as an act of worship to You, and an act of spreading joy, humor, news, and information, to the world.
****I have no idea how many people will even read this, but comments are welcome and, if you like what you have read, please share, and spread the word to anyone who you think may find this food for thought.
Thank You for stopping by.