Welcome to Meowsings of an Opinionated Pussycat!
Let's begin with some Travel Tips:
Just as the Human Tourist needs to watch his/her P's and Q's while in a foreign land so do us Kitties who might get taken along to keep them company:
1. When visiting International Falls, Minnesota, chasing dogs up telephone poles can land you in a heap of trouble.
2. When exploring Sterling, Colorado, you can do so without a taillight.
3. When in Ventura County, California, DO NOT get too frisky with that feline you met while exploring your human's uncles back yard, as having, um, relations, is not allowed without a permit.
4. In a related vein: In places where the above is not frowned upon California still bans us from doing "it" publicly within 1,500 feet of a tavern, school, or, God forbid, any place of worship.
5. For all you smokers out there...consider quiting: In Zion, Illinois, it is illegal for anyone to give lighted cigars to cats.
6. If you like to party late into the night then this city will not be your idea of a fun place to visit: Cats may not yowl after 9 pm in Columbus, Georgia.
7. If your Canine Best Bud gets lost on vacation in Virgina then you will be glad to know that Dogcatchers are prohibited from bothering you while you are searching for him, or her.
8. Hey, all you Black Cats... If you are in French Lick Springs, Indiana, during a week with a Friday the 13th in it, then it could get a bit embarrassing because you will have to wear bells on that day.
9. In a related vein: Special Interests seem to be behind a similar law in Cresskill, NJ that is in effect all year long... If you live there, or are just visiting, even, you must wear three bells at all times to warn birds of your whereabouts.
The above Laws ARE TRUE, and no joke...I learned about them at Feline Follies. ;-D
Now, on to a News Report...
1. What's wrong with this picture?
I mean, seriously!
If you answered, "Well, Blimey, Yank, absolutely nothing as far as I can see!", then you must be British.
Oh, and even if you are not...you'd still be right. ;-D
The BBC reports that "six abandoned kittens have found an unexpected new mother figure - a pet rabbit.
Veterinary nurse Melanie Humble took the three-week-old kittens to her Aberdeen home.
The kittens seemed to think Summer the rabbit was their mother and began to climb all over her and try to feed from her.
Efforts will be made to find the four males and two females permanent homes in the coming weeks.
The All Seeing Eye has a bit more on the story. ;-D
Frankly...I'm worried those kittens will grow up with some SERIOUS ISSUES. ;-D
2. God Bless PG&E!
A brief, deliberate power outage on Thursday morning momentarily stopped power to 1,700 Pacific Gas and Electric Co. customers in the Martell/Jackson area, so that crews could safely remove a cat that had been stuck on top of a power pole near Amador Ridge and the Meeks Lumber & Hardware building for reportedly as long as four days.
"Both us and PG&E received calls about the cat, but we didn't know that PG&E had been contacted and vice versa," said Animal Control Director John Vail. "We went and looked at the situation and there he was, a cat on all four feet atop the power pole, not on the wires, but the pole itself."
The Black Cat had reportedly been stranded for as many as four days!
He was wearing a collar with no tag and had no microchip, and is a fixed adult male.
Other than an infection in the tail, and being hungry, the shelter in Amador reported that he was fine. ;-D
From reporter Kelly Enos, of the Amador Ledger Dispatch in CA.: PG&E crew briefly cuts power to rescue cat stranded on power pole.
Still in CA.
3. Cops nab suspect in cat shooting.
Sonoma police arrested a 63-year-old man Saturday afternoon as a suspect in the shooting of a neighborhood cat.
The cat, named Tiger, was shot in the eye Jan. 11...
Tiger is a 2-1/2-year-old orange male with a friendly disposition and an inclination to roam the adjacent neighborhood. He was adopted from Pets Lifeline as a Christmas gift...
Arrested for the shooting was 63-year-old Kenneth McCann...Police searched McCann's house after an area resident reported seeing the suspect with a pellet pistol, later hearing a "pop" sound and seeing the orange cat leaping over a fence. The witness did not connect the events until seeing a photo of Tiger on the front page of the Index-Tribune.
Full story, by David Bolling, in the Sonoma News.
Meanwhile... across the country in New Hampshire.
4. A 21 lb. hunk of love is hoping to find his Forever Family. ;-D
Brutus, aka "Beefcake", a 21-pound cat, was found abandoned in a motel room for a few days after the owner moved out. Brutus is currently under the care of the SPCA in Stratham and is available for adoption.
As reported by Susan Morse, of Seacoast Online, the owner of the Cat left him alone in the the room for several days with no intetion to return.
The bad man was eventually arrested.
No one at the Police Department knows the cat’s real name, but when Animal Control Officer Jeff Baillargeon brought the big guy to the Health and Wellness Animal Hospital — formerly called Baker-Wells — on Route 1, the staff nicknamed him Brutus, and also Beefcake.
There is a picture of the handsome rogue with the story. ;-D
Brutus is currently featured on the Home Page of the SPCA with a picture and the following description:
Domestic Short Hair, Neutered Male, 8 years old. Brutus was abandoned by his owner so we are not sure how he would do with kids, other cats or dogs. He loves to purr and is just looking for a loving home to call his own.
Good luck Brutus! ;-D
3. Weekend CatBlogging #137 is up over at What Did You Eat?
This next Carnival is for the Birds...
And just about any other critter on the planet, too. ;-D
4. The Modulator has Friday Ark #174 where all the Animal Kingdom comes together to strut its stuff, and you can find links to Carnivals celebrating creatures of all sorts.
Oh, and that Bird?
Daddy says that this bold character had just stood in the crosswalk, at McFadden and Bristol, here in Santa Ana, Ca. a few seconds before this photo...staring down a half dozen pedestrians waiting for the light to change.
As Daddy hurriedly grabbed his camera the Bird decided picking a fight was not worth his time, and moved out of the way before the light changed. ;-D
5. The Pet Prayer and Praise Blog is for any pet prayer requests, praises or remembrances.
Each Sunday a new list is started. If you need a special request added to the list, please leave it in the comments anytime.
Well, that's all for today!
Night everyone! ;-D